VETERAN'S Services  

Honorable Veteran's Services

At DeFriest-Grattan Funeral Homes, we believe it is extremely important to honor the lives of our faithful veterans who have so courageously served our country. That's why we offer a variety of respectful veteran's funeral services.

Our Funeral Home can assist your family in arranging military funeral honors for eligible veterans, as required by law. Joseph S. Grattan, Sr., a VietNam Era veteran and active American Legion member is especially well-versed in military protocol; having served on the Battalion Level Honor Guard while stationed at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky.

All veterans are entitled to the following benefits:

American Flag:

VA will provide an American flag to drape on each eligible veteran's casket. After the funeral service, the flag may be given to the next of kin or another loved one. These flags are issued at VA regional offices, national cemeteries and at most post offices.

Burial Allowance:

Veterans Affairs (VA) will pay a burial allowance up to $2,000 if the veteran's death is service connected. Additionally, the VA will pay $300 for veterans who were entitled to receive pension or compensation or would have been entitled to compensation but for receipt of military retirement pay at the time of their death.

National Cemetery Burial Benefits:

Burial benefits in a VA national cemetery include the gravesite, opening and closing of the grave, a concrete grave liner and perpetual care. Additionally, headstones and markers are provided at the government's expense.

Headstones and Markers:

VA provides headstones and markers for the unmarked graves of veterans anywhere in the world as well as for eligible dependents of veterans buried in national, state veteran or military cemeteries.

Contact the DeFriest-Grattan Funeral Home if you have questions about veteran's funeral benefits. Our knowlegeable staff will help you determine if you or a loved one is eligible and guide you through the many options available to departed veterans.

The Veterans Discharge certificate (DD-214) and Social Security number will be necessary to proceed with any entitlements.